Andy Moore wrote:

> Jima wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Andy Moore wrote:
>>

>>> I'm bringing my CDs of LN2.8 if anybody wants to copy them.  I won't
>>> have a burner there but somebody else is bound to have one.  It's 2
>>> CDs if you were going to supply your own discs.
>>>

>> Nice. :)
>> I'm still not touching the legal ramifications. :P
>>
>>     Jima

> I tried to find something that said I couldn't do it on both the CDs
> and their website.  The only licensing stuff I could find referred to
> a lack of warranty and pointed to the GPL.
>
> I'll keep looking but as far as I can tell (IANAL), I'm ok.
>
> --
> The Wandering Dru
> aka Andy Moore

OK, from what I can tell, the problem comes from the OTHER software that
is packaged with the distro eg. Acrobat, Netscape,Turboprint, etc.
These have proprietary/BSD/Artistic licenses.  Libranet aquired
permission to distribute these things with the distro but can't assign
that permission to other parties.  So technically, to be perfectly
legal, I would have to go in and remove all that crap and then repackage
the distro if I wanted to "legally" make copies.  They don't have a
problem with installing on multiple computers tho.  I could see it
working, we'd just have to edit the sources list to point to the debian
repositories/LN updates only.

--Dru