AFAIK, I think you can sit in on lectures at the U - I had a friend that
would accompany us to our Java classes just so he could learn Java.  Now,
he could only get the lecture - he didn't go to any of the labs (not
having an ITLabs account and all...)

I think the idea is, some of these classes are always full (especially at
the lower CSci levels).  So there were always kids that were put on the
waiting list, and would come to the lectures in the hope that people would
start dropping the class after a few weeks, and they could get in and be
current with the material.