Austad, Jay writes:
> I would chalk this up to a design problem with qmail.  If they had
> used poll() instead of select(), they wouldn't have had this problem.
> Although, I don't think poll() was available when qmail 1.03 was
> originally written (wasn't it in 1999 or something?).

It would be more correct to say ``design decision''.  By ``they'', you mean
Dan Bernstein, the only author of qmail.  qmail was written in 1995 or
earlier.  Most likely, poll(2) had portability problems at that time.

Also, at the time, a maximum remote concurrency of 255 was quite reasonable.
The internet was run over copper.  Fiber and high speed connections didn't
come until at least two years later.  Even now, very few sites have enough
mail and bandwidth to warrant a higher limit.

Note that chkspawn detects FD_SET() limits and does not allow you to set
conf-spawn to a value that is too high.  Most likely, the potential for
crashing due to FD_SET() limits is the reason for the compile time
conf-spawn limit.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/