Austad, Jay writes:
> If you can get qmail running on linux with a conf-spawn of more than
> 509, I'd like to see it.  I spent weeks trying to get this to work, I
> tried recompiling the kernel, using ulimit, changing things in /proc,
> and there is still a hard set limit for FD_SET of 1024.

There is this patch, but it probably won't help with the FD_SET limit:

http://qmail.org/big-concurrency.patch

It should be easy to change select() to poll().

> Anyway, if I
> remember correctly, it's qmail-queue that actually dies when you go
> over the limit.  It communicates with every qmail-send process that's
> running, and has a file descriptor open for each one, rather than
> qmail-send opening the descriptor itself.

Only one qmail-send process runs.  It communicates with qmail-rspawn, which
spawns qmail-remote processes to do the deliveries.  qmail-queue only reads
from the process that invokes it (or whatever is connected to fd 0 and 1).

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/