On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 03:16:49PM -0500, Austad, Jay wrote:

> I would chalk this up to a design problem with qmail.  If they had used
> poll() instead of select(), they wouldn't have had this problem.

Wow. Qmail, not perfect. It boggles the mind.

>                                                                   Although,
> I don't think poll() was available when qmail 1.03 was originally written
> (wasn't it in 1999 or something?).

For which OS? I'm pretty sure Solaris has had it for a very long time,
FreeBSD's poll() man page is dated Sept 7, 1996 with a notation that it
originally came from AT&T System V UNIX. As for Linux:

AVAILABILITY
       The  poll()  systemcall  was  introduced  in  Linux 2.1.23.  The poll()
       library call was introduced in  libc  5.4.28  (and  provides  emulation
       using select if your kernel does not have a poll syscall).

kernel 2.1.23 was released on 28-Jan-1997

libc 5.4.28 was released on 10-May-1997