Chad Walstrom wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 11:55:56AM -0500, Raymond Norton wrote:
>
>>We have a MB with a fastrack raid controller that my redhat install
>>could not pick up, so we added a 3ware card, and it worked perfect.
>>Just for kicks I enabled the fastrack controller after the install and
>>was able to mirror my apps drive. On boot up the mirrored drives show
>>up as hde, and hdg. What would be the proper fstab syntax to mount
>>this mirror?
>

> Ahh, scary.  The promise controller is definitely supported by the newer
> kernels, but you'll want to make sure you don't have to boot off the
> disks.  You will never get Lilo or GRUB to see the mirror device as
> bootable.
>
> I'm assuming that you're not using the Promise-supplied controllers,
> otherwise you wouldn't see the IDE devices at all; they would be
> presented as a single SCSI drive.  What you're probably seeing is the
> built in ATARAID support in the newer kernels (>= 2.4.18).  The driver
> does work, as I'm told, but I'd be cautious and only use data that is
> easy to recover in case the mirror itself fails.
>
> The device you want is /dev/ataraid/d0[p][1-*], where * is a wildcard.
> The "p" represents the partitions.
>
> 	bash# fdisk /dev/ataraid/d0
> 	# partition out as appropriate
>
> I would seriously consider using a journaling filesystem on a mirror
> array, simply to improve write performance.
>
> 	bash# mkfs.ext3 /dev/ataraid/d0p1
> 	bash# mount -t ext3 /dev/ataraid/d0p1 /mirror0
>
> Good luck!
>
> P.S. The O'Reilly book on Linux RAID is an excellent source of
> information!

I must be misunderstanding something Chad said about not booting from the RAID
disk.  In the general case I've not had any trouble booting from either MYLEX
SCSI RAID arrays or 3ware RAID arrays.  You just need to have the correct
modules included in the initial ramdisk.

Sorry if I'm misaddressing the issue - I'm having a rocky sort of day today...
Kent