>                             Running it under linux presented problems
> because linux has a limit where a single process can only have 1024 file
> descriptors.  Contrary to popular belief, this is *not* easily changable by
> echoing something into /proc or using ulimit.  If you don't believe me, try
> it, it won't work.  I later confirmed this with a kernel developer, and it's
> something that was supposedly going to change in the 2.5/2.6 kernel.

That's simply untrue, there are many IRC servers out there that handle
thousands of clients running on Linux, and have done so since the 2.2.x
kernels.

Here are the instructions for the 2.2.x kernel:

http://www.volano.com/linux.html

2.4.x kernels:

http://support.zeus.com/faq/zws/v4/entries/os/linuxfd.html