I've setup a cluster of 36 clients using FAI.

Since FAI uses NFS to mount the root parition during install, I don't
think so.

A quick google search shows there are ftpfs and httpfs kernel patches,
which would probably let you mount the partition, but things like
devices and sockets may act funky using this setup (?).

If you're just starting with FAI, try making it work with NFS first,
since what the system is assuming, and then copy the nfsroot over to the
http location. I say this because it can take 20-40 minutes to run
through an install, only to find out something was setup wrong that
isn't necessarily a trivial fix. Using http might introduce new errors
that would be easier to debug if they're not intermixed with
FAI-specific errors.

Mike