On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 22:09, Keith wrote:
> I'm trying to decide between two wireless 802.11 a/b/g combo cards.
> Linux support is the deciding factor.

Unfortunately, 802.11g is pretty much unsupported on Linux.  My
understanding is that the lack of support comes from the fact that
hardware vendors have started using some (at least partially)
software-defined radios so that they can adapt easily to any changes
that were made in the 802.11g specification before it was finalized.  A
side-effect is that they can theoretically access large portions of the
RF spectrum.

The vendors don't want to expose any of their patents or trade secrets
by defining the (quite low-level) interface to these cards, and they
also might draw the ire of organizations such as the FCC as well as
various armed forces around the world that use certain frequencies for
communication that could be interfered with by these adapters.

However, the 802.11g committee has finalized the standard now, so
hopefully we'll see some full-hardware options soon.  On the other hand,
we might unfortunately see this become another area where Linux support
stays relatively poor, just like with Winmodems and Winprinters..  I'm
sure some people will be doing their best to reverse-engineer the cards,
but getting things working reliably through that route is generally very
slow going..

For now, your best bet is just to stay with vanilla 802.11a/b.  Also
note that the 22Mbps .11b cards that are floating around are not likely
to work with Linux either (for pretty similar reasons, as I understand
it).

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   If it's tourist season, why