Of course, the completely hilarious part of this whole thread is the
number of 'argumentative?' messages, upset, etc. that this vacation
message generated here.

I don't by any means keep count, but I personally don't recall seeing
enough of them pass thru to make it the
"issue of the week" like it seems to have done.

It is also required by some companies that people do this when they ARE
gone. I rather doubt the first thing on the lusers mind is "OH! I better
make sure that vacation message goes everywhere but the TCLUG list" as
they are eagerly prepping for their often times well earned vacation. I
expect something along the lines of tackle boxes, or whatever one might
be into or have planned for their time off is the primary distraction,
voluntarily or not.

Since I'm of the simple sort, I wonder what would be wrong with a simple
procmail ---> /dev/null rule based on "out of the office" in the message
body, subject or whatever. I mean there are only so many ways to say
"I'm gone."

No fuss, no muss, and nobody is the wiser/pissed off, or whatever.

.01 (Bad Sales Month)   :)