It sounds like an IRQ problem.  Did you check your BIOS for conflicts?
I had a friend with his modem on the same IRQ as the mouse.  In order to
download a file, he had to keep his mouse moving!

I've been successful setting up two monitors with an ATI Radeon VE card,
but that's got two outputs built in.

-Ryan