Hey guys,

I've got a little electronics project I'm working on, and I
need to send pulses out from a PC that's got Red Hat 9.

I thought the data strobe on the parallel port would be a
perfect way to do this, and I'd like to avoid writing "real"
program, so I'd like to do it using a shell command.

The external device takes TTL levels, which are abundant
on the parallel port. I'm hoping to use just two wires.

I tried changing permissions on /dev/lp0 to a+wr and
doing "echo > /dev/lp0", but it didn't work.
"echo > file" puts just a newline in file. One byte.

Echoing to the port hangs, perhaps waiting for an
acknowledgement.

I've also tried looking around for a HOWTO, but it's
so involved and requires programming (which I can do,
but would like to avoid).

I'd appreciate it a lot if someone would point me to
a site I can read to knock this out. Thanks.

Chris Schumann

(Hmmm... maybe I can connect the STROBE to ACK pin...)