If you are running DOS, then an old board might help,
DOS programs typically had built in drivers that could have
problems on newer hardware.  I can give you an old board if you want it.
Both Win95/WinNT have software emulations of the first few
serial ports, they might make things better or worse depending
on your luck.  Looks like dosemu/linux has a uart emulation as
well, never tried it.

If you can select between XON/XOFF(software) flow control and
hardware flow control then try changing that.  If
you are using hardware flow control, make sure your cable is good.
Or if you can describe the problem more, that would help.