I think it was, but the apology reply was also in html format.

The safest (and best IMO) is to comletely disable HTML message sending.
(All HTML-sending clients should have this option). Another way is to
always reply in the same format messages came in (most have this
feature), and then add specific domains (Mozilla has this, OE doesn't)
(such as mn-linux.org) to an always plain-text list.

Just FYI.

Mike