On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 04:05:02PM -0500, Wayne Johnson wrote:
> I was thinking about trying a Software Raid 5 configuration.  I've got a
> WDD 20 GB and two WDD 40GB drives.  I was thinking of setting up a 20GB
> raid segment on each, and use the remaining 40GB for /tmp and On-disk
> backups.

If you are just going to use the extra 40gb for on-disk backups, I'd say forget the RAID-5 and do a RAID-1 with the two 40gb drives.

Otherwise, get another 40gb drive to do your RAID-5.  Forget about the 20gb drive.

Also, make sure each drive in the RAID is the only drive on each IDE channel.

 http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-0.4x-HOWTO-2.html

-David