Good tip, Chad!  That's good to know for when I have to use bash.

In zsh (which ships with Solaris8 and later) you can just type rm <TAB> and it
lists all the files with all their proper escapes so you can just arrow up and
down and choose the one you want to delete.  Press enter and it deletes it.
(unless it starts with a dash (-) in which case you still have to put "-- " in
front of the name).

[setopt menucomplete must be on for this to work.]

If you put pattern before pressing <TAB> it will only list the files matching
the pattern.

Gerry (Not trolling -- just comparing and contrasting)

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> OK, so let's say that you've inadvertantly created a file whose name
> starts or includes an unprintable character.  When you type 'ls' at the
> prompt, you might get something like this:
[snip]
> Now, in order to delete this file, you need to use BASH's QUOTING
> capabilities (more info in the bash manpage).
>
>         bash$ rm $'\r'
[snip]

--
Gerry Skerbitz