Matt Murphy writes:
> folks, I'm trying to get ODBCConfig going, which is a KDE
> program, so I can connect to our MSSQL server from php.

Why use ODBC?  The native interface should provide better performance and
more functionality:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mssql.php

> Do real people actually deal with this crap just to
> get something installed???

I'm sure some people do.  Smart people choose a package management system
that doesn't have these problems.

> Is there an easier way to solve dependency problems?
> (isn't the stupid installer supposed to be able to do that?)

Yes.  I use Debian and FreeBSD ports, neither of which have these problems.
And as other people have pointed out, recent versions of RPM based systems
have good package managers that solve these problems for you.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/