On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 09:29:48AM -0600, Matt Murphy wrote:
> 	Congrats, you completely missed the point. That point being
> that DVD+R works on a lot more players than you think. It sounds
> like you've swallowed the line from the DVD-R consortium hook line
> and sinker. DVD-R *is* more widely supported, but it's about a 2%
> difference. Please refrain from uninformed sweeping generalizations.

Here's what I base my observations on:

I bought a Sony DRU-500a (DVD - and + R/RW drive, 4X) over a year ago, I though
it would be great for christmas to convert friends and families old VHS tapes
to DVD. So, I made two test DVD's, one DVD-R, one DVD+R, and tested them on
random DVD players before I went through the trouble of converting any old
tapes.

I found that out of the mix of old and new DVD players, the ones my girlfriend
and her sister got (different brands from different people) neither of them would
play DVD+R, both played DVD-R. Their parents 2 year old high end DVD player would
play both. My own 2 DVD players would both read the -R and -RW, but only one would
read +R/+RW.

At this point I began to worry about it if other peoples players would read any
writable media at all, and burnt a copy of something I downloaded [...]  to have
various friends test, all but 2 of them reported that the DVD+R would not work
in their systems

In the end, it doesn't matter what percentage of all DVD players created support
what formats, but what percentage of DVD players I'm likely to be using my discs in
support what.

They all supported DVD-R.

[snip]

> 	And you know this because you tested DVD+R movies on all your friends' DVD players? How many is "all"?

I tested around 11 DVD players in total, a mix of panasonic, sony, regent,
and the super cheap DVD players all the college kids have.

[snip]

> 	Recorder or burner? What speed?

Burner, 4X

> 	The DVD+R standard is much closer to the DVD video standard natively, so
> it's always much faster finalizing. The DVD-R standard needs more changes to
> work in players. I have a 2x DVD-R burner and had a DVD-R recorder (replaced
> my DVD+R recorder) and they both take forever to finalize.

*shrug* maybe it's the software you're using. I don't accept that being "closer"
has anything to do with it. You're referring CLV, CAV is what causes the
incompatibilities.

Anything that stops and starts (recorder) is going to use CAV, and is the least
likely to be compatible.

[snip]

I do video capture/manipulation as a hobby because it's fun =)