<snip>

> 1) I can *almost* forgive rushing poorly thought out or
> incomplete products

Linux has a lot of these, although, at least you don't pay to play.

<snip>

> computing. Given the track record - I don't trust Microsoft
> to do the right
> thing.

I wouldn't trust them or any other single company.  If this is to be done it
needs to be industry driven by several companies.  I don't think it will
have any more traction than passport.net unless it comes from a large
diverse group.