> I don't understand why regular DJs still cart around cases full of CDs.

	Several reasons -

- you know the club has a cd player, cds are cheap
- DJ can show up with cds and pop them in and go. no setup.
- computers are expensive
- computers crash
- computers take time to set up
- many DJs wouldn't know the first thing about the technical aspect
- on a good soundsystem, an mp3 really does sound like crap, though a wav sounds just as good

	Techno DJs like vinyl because they can slow it down & speed it up with their fingers to beatmatch longer. The new CDJ-1000 lets them do that with CDs as well, and final scratch maps mp3s/wavs onto special vinyl that can be played on regular turntables. Some techno DJs like Richie Hawtin are using this to allow them to bring 50,000 records with them wherever they go, but it's still expensive, has to be set up on stage, and if your laptop dies, you just went from 50,000 tracks to zero.

	There's compelling arguments in both directions, and I think the debate will be ended when dedicated hardware that is cheap and easy and won't crash is built to mix wavs/mp3s for both "wedding" DJs and Techno/Club DJs. I'm hoping the same thing will happen for the VJ community, that's my current DIY project. =] Just to bring this on-topic, I could see embedded linux powering a lot of these types of "appliances".

Matt