From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org on behalf of The Wandering Dru
Sent: Mon 12/29/2003 1:00 PM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: [TCLUG] Wi-Fi security question

My mom is looking to go the wireless route in the near future for her
laptop.  I know a lot of you that use wireless put the AP on the DMZ of
your firewall.

My question is this, do you pinhole the firewall to allow certain
services(ie, filesharing, printing, etc.) back into the LAN or do you
just limit the AP to internet access?  Or is there some other fancy way
to allow these services that I'm not aware of?  I'm mostly just looking
for a security/convenience trade-off comparison.

I have nearly no experience with wireless and would like to come up with
a plan/cost before I go buying stuff willy-nilly on my mom's bill.

--
The Wandering Dru <dru at druswanderings.net>
http://druswanderings.net <--- Things 'n' Such

Get nifty TCLUG merchandise at the TCLUG Store!
http://www.cafeshops.com/tclug