I wouldn't bother with WEP if I used VPN. It'll just slow the connection
a tiny bit and eat up batteries on a laptop a tiny bit faster. But as
Sk3ch pointed out, this is your mother's place, not yours or mine. We
can handle monkeying with VPN. We like doing that. We like SSH. Your mom
probably does not. (No offense to any mothers on the list!)

Keep it simple unless you like not only setting this technology up, but
also supporting it every time the power goes out or Windows bombs.

John