i.e., the background ICMP radiation that resulted from the "BBN Bang"
about 45 years ago :)

Anyways...yes, Zone Alarm is less a firewall and more of a "random stuff
notification and feel-good suite".  Anyone who follows BugTraq can that
you that it has opened up more holes than it actually protects.
ZoneAlarm exists more to just beep and blink and make you feel really
good, while sucking huge objects through straws and plotting against you
behind your back.

I couldn't recommend any firewall that doesn't run on a dedicated
machine, or is Windows-based (although this is getting harder to
justify, since MS seems to be cleaning up the TCP stack...), isn't ICSA
certified, is annoying (in general), and is annoying (in respects to
making users call)  And I would definately wonder why my firewall
software logged source UDP/53 (DNS) response packets as
suspicious...grrrr...fscking Zone Alarm...

A firewall is like a child, it should be neither seen nor heard,
preferrably locked up in a closet for the first 18 years.