Given Microsoft's past history I'm much more concerned about the
possibility that they'll screw it up and lock 80% of the planet out of
their computers :-)

Seriously, when I look at the half-baked security measures that we take
as a society I can't see people getting real interested in secure
computing. Does the current social security number scheme make sense to
anyone? Yet we readily accept the possibility of identity theft and
adverse privacy issues rather than having a system of strong personal
authentication/identification. Credit card companies explicitly accept,
and we consumer implicitly accept, a level of credit card fraud rather
than add tighter security that might make credit card transactions less
convenient for us and less profitable for them.

As soon as Microsoft explains that it will cost us $9.95/month per CPU
for them to effectively administer our home systems I suspect most
people will balk and the whole thing will go away.

--rick