The only times I have heard of this happening had to do with DNS
resolution. Some programs were trying to lookup addresses and took a
while to timeout. One box kept trying to find out what his own name
resolved to. We put it in hosts for him and then he was happier.

There could be many causes for the problem. This is just one I happen to
remember.

You will need to be more specific describing the problem. What programs,
what kind of speed differences are you talking about, have you plugged
the machine into a network and seen the applications respond much faster?