> http://www.squirrelmail.org/

No doubt about it.  I'm writing this on Squirrelmail right now :-)

The debian version doesn't support IMAP/SSL, and the unstable version of
UW-IMAP is SSL only.  If you're running Debian unstable, you need to grab
the stable version of IMAP or compile it yourself.  Once I knew that the
installation was painless on Debian.

I'm waiting for the next major release.  2.0 is going to be a complete
rewrite, including many user submitted add-ons.  Mainly virtual hosting
and SSL support.

Since we're discussing Squirrelmail, here's how I made virtual hosting
work on my box.  I have:

domain1.com
domain2.com
domain3.com

I set up Apache/mod_ssl so any connection to https://anyiporhostonmybox/
gets directed to /usr/share/squirrelmail.  I then set up mail.domain1.com
to redirect to https://mail.domain1.com, and so forth for all the other
domains.  I then added the following to config.php:

$lxy_host_array     = explode(".", $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']);
$lxy_host           = $lxy_host_array[count($lxy_host_array) - 2];
$lxy_host           .= ".";
$lxy_host           .= $lxy_host_array[count($lxy_host_array) - 1];

// $domain                 = implode('', file('/etc/hostname'));
$domain                 = $lxy_host;

My code works but it's inefficient.  I think I can reduce that to one
line, but I'm not sure how.  Anyway, good luck to you.

-Brian