When I find a benefit to web browsing folks I have to talk about it.
I found this web site this morning  http://www.accs-net.com/hosts

I'm so happy I found it,  it's a simple solution to stopping adds.

It uses the hosts file to stop adds from displaying in your browser or
pop ups
It blocks other things as well, like the menu at the top of the Yahoo site
    but if you know where the mail icon is....

They have a Linux and MAC version of the hosts file as well.

Basically it directs the evil site to 127.0.0.1   LOLROF  the localhost
So simple so effective.

For the M$ folks they have an application "HostToggle"  for switching
their hosts file with a
default hosts file. Have your cake and eat it to.
For the Linux folks, it comes with source, so all you programmers on the
LUG, have at it,
I believe it's written in basic. If you get it work in Linux I would
suggest talking to the people
at the above website.

Sam.