> Eeesh.  I thought someone was going to fix that.  It's a common problem,
> because the default kernel configuration doesn't have support for the
> local text/framebuffer console built in.  It was my impression that
> someone was going to go through and make the default configuration be
> much more reasonable for normal people, rather than having options set
> willy-nilly.
>
> Anyway, just search for "linux 2.6 black screen" or some variants
> thereof.  I think almost everyone who has tried 2.6 has run into that
> problem at one point or another.

Thanks, but I gave up on 2.6.0 for the time being.  I could tolerate the black screen but I am also getting really nasty mouse behavior.  It works in 2.4.22, maybe I'll try back when I have time to debug/research.

I actually copied my existing 2.4.22 config and did make oldconfig so shouldn't that have overridden the frame buffer problem?

Josh