I would suggest fluxbox. (but that's just because it's what I use...) Flux has two menu files to read from. Either ~/.fluxbox/menu or /usr/share/commonbox/menu. (I think) It's a very simple, look-at-it-and-you-get-it, kind of format. You can also make ~/.fluxbox/menu just link to the /usr/share... file, so you have only one file to edit.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if IceWM had a similar setup.

The tougher question, I think, is what to do if students are familiar with Linux and can figure out how to get a shell open or something. Even in this case, it would be a minority, and I think I would trust Linux permissions to protect the system from a user-level account.

I wish you luck in doing this!

Also, Xandros (commercial) or Lindows might be worth looking at, if they want more than web/word processing.