I think it depends...the basic pattern-matching rules will probably work
fine, since all versions of SA should handle that.  Depending on how old
your current version is, some of the "newer" checks like razor2,
bayesian, and DCC may not (if your current version doesn't have these),
or there may be something even newer that isn't supported.  It will
probably still "work", but those tests that the spamd engine can't
handle will just fail, and shouldn't impact the score.

I've never tried it - I've always just upgraded both.  Never had a
problem going to a new version.