On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 08:51:30AM -0600, Richard Hoffbeck wrote:
> I had a similar problem with Pine. The term type was getting set to
> cygwin when I logged  into the Linux box and it looked like the terminal
> definition was screwed up. It looked like it was having issues with
> scrolling the display when a character was written into the last
> row-column position so pine was out of synch with what was actually on
> the screen. I didn't have an issue with vi, but then it usually doesn't
> write that far over on the last row.
>
> I checked dejanews and it seems that the Linux termcap entry has
> problems for the cygwin terminal and the preferred solution was to grab
> a more recent termcap definition (I think freebsd was the preferred one)
> and install it on the linux box.
>
> That seemed like a lot of work just to use pine so I just reset the
> terminal type to vt320 and it seems to work fine. I mostly use pine and
> vi but I did a quick try with emacs and that seemed fine as well.

This suggestion was just what I needed.  Armed with this suggestion I
did the following (for anyone else who has the same problem):

1.  pulled terminfo.src from the ncurses website.
2.  Used tic to compile a new cygwin entry:
2a.  mkdir ~/.terminfo
2b.  tic -e cygwin -o ~/.terminfo terminfo.src
3.  Became happy.

Thanks, Rick!

Actually, not so hard, either, in case you want to use cygwin instead
of vt320 :-)