I had a similar problem with Pine. The term type was getting set to
cygwin when I logged  into the Linux box and it looked like the terminal
definition was screwed up. It looked like it was having issues with
scrolling the display when a character was written into the last
row-column position so pine was out of synch with what was actually on
the screen. I didn't have an issue with vi, but then it usually doesn't
write that far over on the last row.

I checked dejanews and it seems that the Linux termcap entry has
problems for the cygwin terminal and the preferred solution was to grab
a more recent termcap definition (I think freebsd was the preferred one)
and install it on the linux box.

That seemed like a lot of work just to use pine so I just reset the
terminal type to vt320 and it seems to work fine. I mostly use pine and
vi but I did a quick try with emacs and that seemed fine as well.

--rick