Notice I said "The machine wont boot I take it".

Master Boot Record is very neat, it sits above the 'Boot Record", and
the Boot Record sits above the File Allocation Table (FAT). Then you
have your data area that sites under the FAT.
The problem with FAT is it stores things without much care as to how
many parts it ends up in and the clusters are very large.  If to many
clusters are physically damaged the disk stops working.

I have set of Hard Disk platters that had a head crash happen to the top
platter, it has a groove where the head made contact with the platter.
Really Cool!

I've installed Linux on a drive, deleted the partition, formated it FAT
with the "/s" switch to place the DOS system on it, and Lilo starts the
boot process. Until, I use the command from a floppy disk, fdisk /mbr.
Then, the machine starts DOS just fine, I did it yesterday for a guy,
Linux was just to much for him.

If it isn't the master boot record a fat partition is toast without
recovery software or call Ontrack.
Google for "Recover FAT Table" you will have many choices of software.
Ontrack will cost much more then the software. Depending on what the guy
had on his computer it may be easier to just start over.  But down load
and run some utilities form the hard disk manufacturer to check the disk
first.  If the disk is really scrambled get a new one.

Sam.