>From the sound of this, the issue is that text displayed in GDM/Gnome is
tiny/unreadable. Based on this assumption, my guess is you have anti-aliased
fonts turned on. I've had this issue on several computers. For some reason,
when you enable AA fonts, it shrinks everything to ~1 pixel in height. There
is a config file somewhere (and I can never remember where) that allows you
to specify your display dpi, and after that it works fine. It might be the
XF86config file...

There's info on this here: http://patriot.net/~scoile/fonts/fixing-2.html
but this is for XDM, and I don't recall a similar config file for GDM.

Or perhaps I lied: http://www.mozilla.org/unix/dpi.html this makes it sound
like this is for GDM under RH, but I doubt that is the case.

Found another link that references a GDM config file,
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/garnome-list/2002-September/msg00310.html so
these last two links are what you should look at, I think.

That is, of course, assuming this is what your issue surrounds.

http://www.mn-linux.org tclug-list at mn-linux.org