I've done that for NTFS and FAT but not using Linux, using NT, W98, and DOS.

The machine wont boot I take it, try booting with the W98 boot diskette,
then run, fdisk /mbr,  this will put the master boot record back in
place, turn the machine off and on to see if it boots from hard disk.

Several virus's will put the screws to the master boot record. The ones
I know of get carried by diskette a lot When booted from a diskette by
accedent. It doesen't even need to be a boot disk. If you get the
machine running scan it for viruses and scan every diskette in the guys
house.  Tell him _not_ to leave diskette in the drive EVER.

Sam.