Add this line to your ~/.bashrc file

alias ducks='du -cks * | sort -rn | head -11'

then cd to the directory you want the size of, and type ducks.
This is a handy little command that shows the 10 largest
files/directories in your current directory.

Here's my home directory for example:
$ ducks
1764048 total
1097320 win
219548  mydata
50932   devcd
41064   the_two_towers-tlr_fs.l.mov
32500   linux-2.6.0-test10.tar.bz2
32484   linux-2.6.0-test9.tar.bz2
25936   Debt_Minder_Installer.bin
21708   GimpUsersManual_SecondEdition-HTML_Search.tar.gz
18840   q2-3.20-x86-full-ctf.exe
15196   lxg-tlr2_m480.mov

This is very useful when you want to free up some disk space.

Chris Frederick