| I have always avoided using init-rd with my custom kernels.

Me too.

| I'm not so good at compiling kernels the "debian" way yet,
| but I'm sure this would involve producing a matching init-rd.img.

Debian (and other distributers) use this method so they can build a kernel
that literly has everything. The only way you can really do this is using
modules. If the system doesn't need it, dont' load the module. So the file
systems are compiled as modules so that you can install a ext23, ext3,
ReiserFS, <Insert Fav. FileSystem here>.

When you build a custom kernel, you can leave out everything you don't
need. No real reason to muck around with an initrd.

Things to check: Make sure adding drives didn't move your drive
assignments around, or if they did, you modified your fstab and lilo
configs accordingly.

initrd.img might be bad, it's hard to say. You can always try a Debian
insalled kernel.

Could be a bug in testing. As you've done a reinstall now, I guess
figuring out what's wrong is a moot point. ;)

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
 A password is like your underwear; Change it
 frequently, don't share it with others, and
     don't ask to borrow someone else's.