Raymond,

You can usually force a change to a particular
installation of perl by invoking that installation's
perl binary, like:

   /usr/bin/perl -MCPAN -e shell

or:

   /usr/local/bin/perl -MCPAN -e shell

for CPAN installs, and for manual installations:

   /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL
   make
   make install

or:

   /usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL
   make
   make install

If you just use 'perl -MCPAN -e shell'
then your current '$PATH' will dictate
which installation is being updated (if
'/usr/bin' comes first, 5.8.0 is updated).

One thing you will want to do, if you
want to maintain two Perls (which you
may not wish to do because it is more
complicated) is make the CPAN module
cache, build, and install modules in a
different place for each Perl installation.

On your RHL9 you have two configuration
files that need the different locations in
them:

   /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN/Config.pm
   /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.2/CPAN/Config.pm

Make backup copies of each one, then
modify:

   /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.2/CPAN/Config.pm

and replace the text:

   /root/.cpan

with:

   /root/.cpan-local

and then:

  mkdir /root/.cpan-local

If you want to disable the '/usr/local'
installation of Perl, I would probably
try and move '/usr/local/bin/perl' to
'/usr/local/bin/perl-5.8.2' or something.
It should be outside of your '$PATH' then.
If that doesn't work, or need something
that depends on it, you can move it back.

Good luck,

Troy

>>> admin at lctn.org 12/04/03 11:45AM >>>
Looks like I have 2 versions of perl,  5.8.0 is located in /usr/bin,
and
5.8.2 is in /usr/local/bin.

This is causing a problem when installing per modules manually and
with
CPAN. Everything ends up in /usr/local/bin ( the 5.8.2 install), so I
am
getting the following errors when I try to call Apache::PrettyPerl,
"Can't
locate Apache/PrettyPerl.pm  in @INC  ( @INC contains :
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/etc"

Is there a way to  force all modules to install to
/usr/lib/perl5/perl5.8.0,
or at least include the new perl libraries when launching a script? I
tried
changing the perl path on the two new scripts I am calling from #!
/usr/bin/perl to #! /usr/local/bin/perl, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance

Raymond