On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 02:01:51PM -0600, nick phillips wrote:
> a call for help to any networking people!
>
> i need a little help setting up a local network to connect an OS X
> powerbook and a linux desktop, using a small 4 port hub. what i'd
> ideally like to do is to have internet access on my linux computer, but
> be able to ssh into my OS X laptop to grab files i need.
You can't do this with a hub, you'll need to get a router ($30 at best
buy), or use one of your computers to "share" the connection.  Try
plugging your modem into your powerbook via USB (if available), and the
run the network cable from your laptop to your linux box.  I don't know
where to go in OS X to share the connection, but dig around in the
networking stuff - it could be called NAT (network address translation).

Of course there are other solutions.

The deal is you only get 1 IP address from your internet provider
(assuming standard residential account..), so you need to have one
computer act as a router to share the connection to other devices.  This
is why when you put the connection into the hub, only one computer gets
the internet access - whichever computer grabs the connection first gets
it.

hope that helps,
dan