a call for help to any networking people!

i need a little help setting up a local network to connect an OS X
powerbook and a linux desktop, using a small 4 port hub. what i'd
ideally like to do is to have internet access on my linux computer, but
be able to ssh into my OS X laptop to grab files i need.

what i've attempted so far is plugging my cable modem into the uplink
slot of the hub, and plugging my powerbook and linux box into ports 2
and 3. the powerbook auto-detects the internet connection and runs fine
-- my linux box doesn't seem to be able to do this, although it can
auto-detect fine when plugged directly into the cable modem. so that's
problem number one: how can i get the linux box to detect the internet
connection when connected through the hub?

the second question is how to get the two computers networked ok. i
tried assigning the linux box an internal ip address 192.x.x.x using
ifconfig, which works fine. but when i attempt to ssh into the box from
my powerbook using that internal ip address, nothing happens. i have ssh
enabled on the linux box. when i try to nmap the internal ip address
from my powerbook, it shows no open ports, so obviously i'm doing
something wrong.

sorry if this is a little vague -- i'm a complete novice at networking.
if anyone needs more info, i will be happy to provide it. if it helps, i
am using a powerbook g3 with OS 10.3.1, and an athlon XP 2000 running
debian 2.4.21, with a Hawking 10Base-T 4 Port Hub.

thanks for any help!

best,
nick