From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of steve ulrich
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 9:07 AM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] what ftp daemon do you run?

On Dec 12, 2003, at 11:10 AM, Johnny Fulcrum wrote:

> Some folk at work have some ftp needs that go above and beyond our
> anonymous "blinb" ftp site we already have.  They need something where
> one time users can drop off files (maybe as an anonymous users) but
> also recurrent file transmitors would have a user id and be able to
> "pick up" and drop off stuff...so there'd be admin of users/passwords.
>  Security is a concenr too (!)...I've played with wu-ftp and the ftp
> daemons that come "out of the box" with Mandrake (proftp I think)...
> but was wondering what y'all use and how it's secured and how user
> admin is handled!

while not free, i've been extremely happy with ncftpd[1].  it's a from
scratch implementation of ftp with lots of really nice optimizations and
very flexible user management capabilities. highly recommended.

references
[1] - http://www.ncftpd.com

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC