Matt,

Sorry for taking so long. Check out the file:

 /etc/sysconfig/vncservers

and add the users you want to the bottom in
the format explained in the file:

 VNCSERVERS="1:usernameA 2:usernameB 3:usernameC"

Make sure you read the file first, it has some warnings.

When you're done, restart the 'vncserver':

 service vncserver restart

and maybe add it to the list of services that
start up at boot:

 chkconfig --level 35 vncserver on

You can connect using:

 vncviewer vnchostname:1

replacing '1' with the number in the configuration
file that corresponds with the user desktop you
wish to connect to. I recommend not making a
desktop for 'root': this is not a secure service, but
that would be tempting fate too far.

Also, keep in mind this service (in RHL9) starts
up desktops for every user you add into the
configuration file. That can suck up a few resources.
Thats another reason to like the 'xinetd' vnc setup
in the link I sent previously.

BTW, I don't think you're an idiot. This is not a 'well
documented' service (at least I have not been able to
find it *shrug*). I just looked in '/etc/init.d/' for a vnc
related startup file, and found '/etc/init.d/vncserver',
which lead me to '/etc/sysconfig/vncservers'.

Good luck,

Troy

>>> "Matt Murphy" <mmurphy at tc-tech.com> 12/11/03 09:15AM >>>
> 	Redhat 9 - n00b linux. =]

	So, I take it nobody really knows what's wrong? Everything I can
find on how to get vnc to run on startup seems to be dated, meant for
solaris, or just not work for no apparent reason.

	This is the kind of thing that reminds me that I'm a total linux
idiot, and it's frustrating to feel like an idiot after years of work in
IT.

Matt