Matt Murphy wrote:
>>	Redhat 9 - n00b linux. =]
>

> 	So, I take it nobody really knows what's wrong? Everything I can find on how to get vnc to run on startup seems to be dated, meant for solaris, or just not work for no apparent reason.
>
> 	This is the kind of thing that reminds me that I'm a total linux idiot, and it's frustrating to feel like an idiot after years of work in IT.
>
> Matt

To start services on boot on redhat, create a script in /etc/init.d.
Make sure it can handle the arguments stop, start, and optionally
restart and status.  At the top of the script, add some comments that
look like this:

# Version: 1.3
#
# chkconfig: - 72 28
#         on demand.
# processname: amd
# config: /etc/amd.conf

You can then turn the service on and off with chkconfig.