On Monday 08 December 2003 09:05 am, Chuck Hays wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My father is a fairly advanced windows user, and has a CS degree (albeit
> from 1971...), he however has never used linux, and would like to
> learn.  I am looking for a book that balances server administration and
> desktop use both.  Does anyone have any favorites?  It definitely does
> not need to be "linux for dummies", but can't be too advanced.
>
> Thanks for your advice,
>
> -Chuck Hays
> lists at chuckhays.net

A personal favorite of mine (I've used two editions of it when teaching Linux
classes) is Mark Sobell's  "Practical Guide to Linux" or as it is currently
titled "A Practical Guide to Red Hat Linux 8". Its a real good intro to
command line and GUI. It includes a generic X-Windows chapter and a chapter
on KDE and one on GNOME. Most of the book is the same as the original version
that used Caldera for its screen caps but in no way should be considered
limited to the particular distribution.

I have heard good things about Marcel Gagne's "Moving to Linux" but have not
read it myself.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com