On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 12:23:27AM -0600, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> One of the things about NT that makes it easy to understand is the use
> of the registry. The registry links objects to what the object is used
> for or to objects it uses.  It organizes everything in a central Hierarchy.
> No central registry exists in Linux that I have found, it feels
> scattered to me at this point.  I can't go to one place and find the
> guts of everything.

If you want a detailed explaination, look at the File Hierarchy Standard
put out by the Linux Standards Base.  I'll do my best as a short
explaination here.

Believe it or not, Linux is very organized.  Much more than most unixes
I've seen (IRIX especially).  Debian especially strives to adhere to the
FHS.

/etc	Generally, all system wide configuration files go here.

/bin	Basic system utilities that everyone can use go here.

/sbin	Basic system utilities that only root can use go here.

/usr	This is where static data and programs go.  Some systems can
	mount this read-only or over NFS.

/var	This is where variable data for programs on this system go.

/lib	System libraries needed by programs in /bin and /sbin go here.

/usr/share/doc	This is where documentation on a per-package basis goes.

/usr/lib	Most of the system libraries go here.

/var/log	All system logs go here on Linux.

/lib/modules	Kernel modules

/usr/include	Header files for development

/usr/local	Programs that are not part of the base distribution
		generally go here.

Sure, it may look like there are lots of places to go, but it's all in
one namespace.  You don't need specialized tools to walk around it and
change things.  It'll become second nature once you use it more.

Nate
- Who preferred .ini files over the registry