On Friday 05 December 2003 11:39 pm, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> Can I tell Linux to start PCMCIA before ETH0 ?
>
> I just don't like seeing ETH0 fail every time I restart my laptop.
> It's more of an annoyance then anything else, just wondering.
>
> Sam.

(Note: I'm not certain that Red Hat is setup this way but I believe it is. I
am certain that SuSE runs this way as do a couple of other distros.)

There is a directory /etc/init.d (it may be /etc/rc.d/init.d) that contains
many script files that are used to start all the services on the system.

Each run level has a directory rcX.d where X is the run level (ex. rc3.d if
you are booting to console, rc5.d to the GUI login.) In each of these
directories are a series of sym-links that point to the scripts in init.d
Each of the symlinks has K?? or S?? in front of the script name. The ?? is a
two digit number. This puts the scripts in the directory into a particular
order.

When the run level is entered all of the scripts are run in order. The K
scripts stop running processes and the S scripts start processes. The scripts
in the init.d directory often take several parameters two of which are
"start" and "stop". If you look at rc0.d and rc6.d (halt and reboot) you will
see K scripts and not S scripts.

So what you want to do is change the number of S??pcmcia to be less than
S??network. I'm writing this from a desktop without PCMCIA but with hotplug
(which handles USB, so it would have a similar effect with a USB ethernet
device). Network start is S05network, hotplug is S07hotplug. Basically all
that is needed is to change the S07 to S04 and hotplug will start before
network.

Hope this helps.

--
Jack Ungerleider