On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 01:53:30PM -0500, Brent Friedman wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone on the list is using (or has used) paypal to accept online payments.
>
> I don't want to get a merchant account for visa/mc (really low volume expected), so I was thinking of using paypal.  I have heard some bad stuff about paypal, but haven't used it myself.  [The use is just to sell tshirts on a site I run for a friend, no big ecommerce stuff.}
>
> Any comments or suggestions?

*shrug*

I've heard the horror stories, but they're the same people that say that
Wells Fargo is the best bank they've ever used. The only issue I ever had
with paypal was a dormant account I forgot the password for, I had to
jump through hoops to get a new password -- but I can't complain, considering
it should be hard =)

Wells Fargo, on the other hand, told me that a fishing license or sams
club card was sufficient identification, all I had to do was walk across
the street and get a sams club card, come back, and they would do business
with me.

They also refuse to actually close accounts, and allow companies (AOL) to
direct debit your account for months after it's been "closed", leading to
overdraft fees and credit threats.

If you're worried about the safety of your $, simply move funds out of
the paypal account into your bank account immediately. I believe paypal
has an option to do this automatically.