On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Scot Jenkins wrote:

> cute.  how long before they claim that Thomas Edison was one of their
> employees and that they own the rights to electricity?  or the numbers 0
> and 1....

err... the FAT filesystem may not be anything special and it is probably
ripped off of CP/M but it is still a Microsoft Filesystem, linux, OS2,
*nix and everything else under the sun has been using it/been able to use
it because it is very simple and stupid and easily reverse engineered.

fortunately for us and unfortunately for microsoft they will most likely
not be able to force royalty payments out of people (if that is their
intent)

I am not a lawyer but i seem to remember reading somewhere that if one
does not enforce their patents and the technology becomes mainstream they
lose the ability to enforce the patents.

--
Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET