IIRC, Sistina was working on a project called GFS, and they eventually
changed it to a non-open source project.  A group is working from the last
open source release of GFS at http://opengfs.sourceforge.net/

Also, last time I looked (a couple of years ago) GFS/OpenGFS didn't
support running samba or nfs on the gfs distributed file system.  You may
want to check with Sistina to see if this has changed for their code base.
If it has, and you're looking for a turnkey product, then they may be your
best option.

Something else that may be useful is NBD http://www.xss.co.at/linux/NBD/

The Network Block Device project would let you aggregate the disk space
from several different systems over a network to a master system, and then
export all of that storage space via nfs or samba or some other protocol
to all of your other systems.

There's also AFS and Coda.

http://www.unc.edu/atn/dci/dci_components/afs/

http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/

I've played with nbd a little, but nothing in a production environment.
It doesn't provide any sort of data integretity checking like the others
do.  You could however do software raid across your nbd providing systems,
which would provide at least some redundancy.

In other words, you'd have for example 4 storage servers, each with some
form of redundant storage (raid 5 probably, either hardware or software).
Then, on your master server you build a software raid 5 out of the nbd
storage servers, losing 1 server's worth of storage but protecting against
any one storage server failing.  Of course, your master server is still a
single point of failure, as is the network switch for your storage lan.

I don't know how any of these solutions perform for day to day usage.

Jeff