sure, that's do-able.  make sure you have a current backup of any
important firewall configs before you start.  You probably can just run
the ifconfig, route and iptables commands manually (avoid changing any
config files all together on your firewall) to do your testing.  When
you're done, just reboot your firewall (back to it's original config).

As far as remote access, do you have serial console setup?  Is there
another device you can plug the console port into so that if things
don't work, you can still access the box remotely?  serial console is a
lifesaver.

--
scot